Do you have a console, PlayStation 4? What has given you any mistake any time and did not know what to do? If so, you don’t have to worry about. Although the PlayStation 4 is a great console, just like any other electronic device, is not perfect. For this reason, sometimes there are certain kinks that users have been notified and for which, fortunately, there are some potential solutions. Thus, in the following guide what we wanted to do is to summarize in a simple list the problems of the PlayStation 4 most common and how you can arrange to return to enjoy the wide and fantastic library of games that are on the market. If you are an authentic gamer, we know that these errors can drive you crazy and we don’t want that to happen. So, take a deep breath, read our recommendations and return to play as soon as possible.
First of all: please get in contact with Sony
In this section is all the information that you will need to get in contact with Sony if your problem is not reflected in our guide.
Phone: 1-800-345-7669 (available Monday to Sunday, 6 to.m. to 10 p. m. PT)
Malfunction: blue light flashing
After three years, the “Blue Line of Death” remains one of the most crippling of the PS4. However, unlike the “red Ring of death” on the Xbox 360, the blue line pulsing does not mean that your console has died, but that is a indicator to inform you that it is a serious problem.
Regularly, when you turn on the PS4, the LED light that adorns the side of the console should flash rapidly in blue before it turns white. However, on consoles that suffer from the “Blue Line of Death”, the blue light flashes continually, indicating that there is a problem to transmit the video, and then shuts down inexplicably.
This problem has become so common in some PS4, especially those that were manufactured between late 2013 and early 2014, Sony decided to publish a guide with possible solutions to this problem. Hopefully these options can help you.
- Upgrade the firmware of your TV: some users have noticed that the update of the firmware of the tv has resolved the lack of audio signal and video. If you have a new tv with Internet connectivity, refer to the operating instructions of the tv, and update your firmware. Remember that when you do this you can alter the settings of HDMI and fix the compatibility of the device.
- Check the HDMI ports: check both the HDMI port of your tv, and your PS4 to see if there are abnormalities or severe damage, along with the HDMI cable. If possible, try to test with HDMI cables alternative.
- Verified power supply: tap the power button on the front of the PS4 for at least seven seconds, or until the system beeps twice and turns off. Then, disconnect the AC power cord from the electrical outlet and verify that the AC IN connector and power cord does not present any damage or abnormalities are visible.
- Check the hard disk: make Sure your PS4 is off, then disconnect the AC power cord and any other cable connected before you move the HDD to the outside. Once removed, inspect the hard drive for possible damage and make sure that it is properly seated in the compartment of the hard disk drive.
- Reset controller: verifies that everything is connected correctly. Press and hold the PS button on your controller until the light of the system to become orange. Then, press and hold the PS button again until the light turns white. We have tested this method and can make your PS4 to boot properly.
Malfunction: blinking red light
Although the appearance of the “Red Line of Death” is not as serious as the blinking blue light before mentioned, there is to pay attention to it.
If you have a console that suffers from the “red Line of death”, you’ll see that the indicator light LED that adorns the side of the console will flash red repeatedly, then turn off after the system emits three beeps are different.
According to the user’s guide of the PS4 made by Sony, this problem is due to overheating of the computer, possibly caused by the malfunction of the fan. However, some users reported the problem, minutes after turning on the console for the first time.
If the problem persists and is not solved with any of the following possible solutions, contact the customer service of PlayStation or take your console directly to a retail store Sony official to request a repair or replacement.
- Let it sleep: tap the power button on the front of your PS4 for at least seven seconds, or until the system beeps and turn off. Then, disconnect the power supply and let the console rest for a long period of time, or until it is cool enough, before turning it back on.
- Give ample space: place your PS4 in a well ventilated area so that you have enough space to breathe. In addition, some users have reported that placing the console vertically helps decrease overheating (though it shouldn’t be taken this recommendation into account, if the position blocking the access of the side ventilation).
HDMI port and HDMI cable defective
In the past, some users reported problems with the HDMI port on their units PS4, which, most of the times it was caused by the blockage of one piece of metal bent unknown, within the integrated HDMI port on the console.
Although this problem was resolved in the new consoles, if you buy a unit second hand, or if you still have problems with the HDMI port, here we show you possible solutions.
If none of the potential solutions that we will solve the problem, you try to get in contact with Sony. Although it is not confirmed, it is likely that Sony is going to send you a cable free replacement in a matter of days, once the problem has been confirmed.
- Check the ports HDMI: check the HDMI port of your tv, and your PS4 to see if there are abnormalities or severe damage, along with your HDMI cable. Also, try to test with other HDMI cables.
- Fold back the metal: if you can clearly see a piece of metal bent upward within the HDMI port of the console, bend the damaged piece down with a pin or a small tool. In addition, make sure that the port has not removed any teeth or cause any further damage to the HDMI cable. If this is the problem, you can contact Sony and request a replacement, even if the console begins to run.
- Using an HDMI cable different: if you have the bad luck of receiving a HDMI cable faulty from Sony, simply use another cable available.
Analog controls DualShock 4 damaged
Although we love many things about the controller DualShock 4, the padding of soft rubber that has can easily break when playing a game that requires fast movements, such as Bloodborne. But, still, the fact that you will damage to this rubber do not mean that you have to get rid of the driver.
The decks of the analog controls, as GelTabz, available in stores such as GameStop and Amazon, can be purchased, in order to have a gaming experience even more comfortable and protect the appliance. Despite their flat design, they have a light texture, so your fingers don’t slip and best of all is that there are four included in each package.
Running out of storage space
The newer systems of the PlayStation 4, including the model “thin” and the more powerful PlayStation 4 Pro, have increased the internal storage up to 1TB. It is a lot of space for several AAA games, being able to save some of your “new favorites” without having to erase anything. However, those who have an internal drive of 500 GB is going to be running out of space often, especially because the updates of games make them larger than they were at launch.
- Connect an external USB hard drive to your console. The PS4 works with any hard drive compatible with USB 3.0. Simply, plug it into one of the USB ports of the PS4 and select the option to Format as extended storage.
- You can also change the internal storage of your PlayStation 4. Any drive 2.5 inch with top storage to 160GB will work with your system, and you can change it without void the warranty of your Play.
- You can also upload all of your files in the cloud via PlayStation Plus or in a flash drive, so that you can retrieve them easily.
Connect the PlayStation to the network
The problems of connectivity to the network are the complaint most often repeated in the forums of the PS4, and often will manifest as a error NW-31201-7, and WV-33899-2. The PSN falls over more often than we would like, although it doesn’t do it for very long periods. In general, the network errors can be attributed to the PSN under maintenance service (error code CE-33991-5), and you’ll simply have to muster the patience and wait. However, if this is not maintenance, there are other methods to re-connect.
- Change the DNS settings: if all your other devices are running on your home network, but still can not connect to your PS4, it modifies your DNS settings. First, go to network Settings and choose Custom for the type of connection you will use, either Wifi or by cable. Select the network, choose the settings of the auto-IP and select “not use” for the host name of DHCP. You should receive a notice with two configurations of different DNS: choose the manual. After, you configure the primary DNS as “18.104.22.168” and the secondary DNS as “22.214.171.124”. The console should re-connect.
- Upgrade the firmware of your router: firmware out of date, can often cause connection problems. Typically, there is information on the bottom or back of your router/modem on how to check if there is a firmware update.
- Unplug and re-plug in: turn off your PS4 and desenchúfala. Then, unplug your modem/router. Wait a few minutes and then plug back in and connect the modem and the router. Once initiated and in-line, plug in your PS4 again and turn it on. This should completely reset your PS4 and your home network.
The disc is ejected automatically or is not ejected at all
Reports from users about the malfunction of the optical drives have been known since it launched the PS4. Some consoles are seemingly unable to eject discs, while others automatically ejected when inserted. Some reports even claim that there are consoles trying to eject continuously a disk even when there is none inserted.
This issue mainly affects the first models of PS4, with tactile controls. When you touch the eject button on these models, a piece of rubber helps to eject the disc. The problem is that the overheating can cause the rubber to dilate, making the discs ejecting randomly. Sony addressed this problem in hardware in later models to replace the tactile sensors with mechanical buttons. But for those with the original model, the problem of automatic expulsion continues.
If the problem persists after trying the solutions below, you should contact Sony for further assistance.
- Put the console in vertical mode. Some reports claim the issue happens most frequently when the PS4 is in a horizontal position. If that is the case, purchase a stand and keep it always in portrait. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware problem and must be replaced.
- Manually ejected the disc: if your console can’t eject a disc, touch the power button on the front of the PS4 for at least seven seconds, or until the system beeps and turn off. Then, disconnect the power cord and any other cables connected, and slide the front panel of the console before you follow the tutorial of extraction described in the site PlayStation.
- Power cycle: turn off the console, remove all cables and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then, leave it to stand for at least two minutes before re-connecting all cables and turning on again the system.
Disk read errors and application
The problems of reading from disk —which is often manifested as a the error code EC-35486-6— it may be due to that your disk is damaged. Although the errors of the disc is not damaged they are infrequent, are possible. You can also occur a similar problem with the downloaded games (error CE-34878-0), in which case you can take the similar steps to resolve (potentially) the problem. If you think of with a physical game that you bought recently, the disk may be defective and you should exchange it or return it.
- Cycle of power: like the error of automatic ejection, before mentioned, a power cycle simple can sometimes solve the disc read errors. Turn off, unplug all cables and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then, leave it to stand for at least two minutes before re-connecting all the cables and turn on again.
- Reinstall: even with the games “physical” that are already installed. Remove from the game go to your icon on the screen. Press the button Options on your controller and delete the game from your hard drive. Insert the disc and the installation process should start automatically. For digital games that have problems running, uninstalling and reinstalling would also solve the problem.
- Rebuilds the database: remove the disc and turn off the console, hold down the power button until you hear two beeps. Then, press and hold the power button for five seconds, which should start the console in safe mode. Now, connect your PS4 controller to the console via USB and choose the option to rebuild the database. This could take a few minutes, or even a few hours.
- Installs the latest updates: checks if updates of systems or applications. If available, installs the updates and restarts the console.
- Reboot the system: sometimes a new start can serve for a console that continuously does not read discs or applications. First, make sure you make a backup of all your data stored on a USB drive or in the cloud. Then, go to settings and choose re-initialize. The system will return to its initial configuration, which means that you’ll have to reinstall all of your applications, but this could help you avoid several errors in disk reads and applications.
A GAME BOTHERS YOUR SYSTEM
At the beginning of 2019, Electronic Arts and BioWare launched the game on-line role-Anthem, and the players of PlayStation 4 problems experienced with the game “bricking” your system, apparently causing it to stop working completely. However, this is not completely accurate, and there is a way to fix it and get back to playing as usual.
- If Anthem has locked down your system, restart the console in “safe mode” by holding down the power button until it beeps twice.
- Once the console is again turned on, select the option “rebuild the database“. The saved data of the game will not be erased when you do this, and if the problem re-occur and you can not access your data, repeat the steps for that work.
- BioWare and Electronic Arts are actively working to discover the underlying reason of the locks, so be sure to stay tuned for more updates.
*Article updated by Maria Teresa Lopes may 15, 2019.
Recommendations of the editor